Handbag Christmas Gifts

I made three handbags as gifts to give at Christmas.

The first was a Jenna Tote bag I made for my mom.  The pattern is from SOTAK Handmade.  I've made it before (see it here) and love the size and construction.  I used pre-quilted fabric remnants from Joann Fabric and webbing for straps.  I was really happy with the way this one turned out.



The second bag was this embossed leather clutch for my sister-in-law.  I purchased the leather as a remnant from The Leather Hide Store.  I love how unique it is.  It is a fairly stiff leather, so maybe not ideal for a foldover clutch.  The pattern was a basic design I drafted myself.  I used fabric from Cultivate by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics for the lining.



The third bag was for another sister-in-law and was another foldover clutch that I designed myself (tutorial anyone?).  It is larger in size, has a straighter zipper (instead of the angled edges), and a hand strap.  I used Cotton and Steel (Stampede in navy from the August collection) fabric for the exterior and a solid cotton or the lining.  This leather is also part of a remnant from The Leather Hide Store.  It is super soft and was great for the clutch.  Sadly, my picture of it stinks. 

2 comments

  1. I'm so impressed you drafted your own patterns for gift giving. I rarely give myself enough time to make handmade gifts, let allow drafting them myself.
    The second bag is especially cool. I learned that the embossed pattern is after a stingrays skin last fall. I just find it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only designed the second two - and they were not too complicated. I never give myself enough time, so that translates into very late nights/mornings!

      I told my husband it was stingray leather and he was like, "Um, that is not a thing." Ha! So I clarified to say - embossed like a stingray. I love it. I can't wait to use what I have left for another project. The remnants are a good size. I could probably make 4 bags from each remnant.

      Delete

What do you think? I would love to hear!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...