Ava Dress & Pants with Adjustable Waistband from Lily Bird Studio


Versatile, practical pdf patterns are a necessity at my home.  I love the occasional pattern that is just-for-fun, but with so many kids, I benefit most from patterns that are practical and easy to adapt from kid to kid.  The Ava dress and Pants with Adjustable Waistband are two (of many) patterns from Lily Bird Studio that fit that bill.  I recently sewed both patterns for my kids.  You can read about the patterns here and see the pictures, then use the discount code a the bottom of this post to buy the patterns and make your own!



Ava Dress
The Ava Dress offers a sweet and classic A-line with pin-tucks at the neckline.  The pattern includes sizes newborn to 24 months and the option of making the dress reversible. A sweet line of buttons (or snaps, if you prefer) makes the back of the dress both adorable and easy to put on.  The pattern is an easy, straight-forward sew and would be a great project for a beginner, or a quick sew as a gift.  I also love how lovely this dress looks in all types of fabric from cotton to corduroy.


Pants with Adjustable Waistband
Lily Bird Studio's Pants with Adjustable Waistband have a relaxed, easy, comfortable fit.  My boys exclaimed how nice the pants felt and fit when they tried them on!  The pattern sizing ranges from 12 months to 5 years, but I love that with the adjustable waistband and adding a bit of length to the pant leg, I am able to have the pants fit both my big 5 year old and skinny 7 year old (see my post to come for Project Run & Play to see the pants in action on my older son).

The Pants with Adjustable Waistband took me about 4 1/2 hours to sew (not including assembling the pattern or cutting out fabric).  The directions were pretty clear and easy to follow.  I like that the pattern includes a contrast fabric for the inside waistband, top of the back pockets, and inside front faux pockets.  Although the front pockets are not full pockets, they would be easy to modify if you know how to make a full front pant pocket.  The hidden elastic in the waistband is identical to the adjustable elastic and buttons you find on many ready-to-wear pants with adjustable waistbands.   I also appreciate the front fly/zipper guard.  Yes, you do need to insert a zipper on these pants, but this was only my second zipper and it went pretty well.  The real zipper, stitching on the front fly, belt loops, and top stitching called for in the pattern make these pants look far more professional than just an elastic waistband or faux fly.

The only changes I made when sewing this pattern were to add about 1 1/2" to the length, so that I could use them for both boys.  I used a blind hem to hem the pant leg (the pattern calls for a regular straight stitch).  I also used a serger for most of the inside seams, while the pattern tutorial assumes you are not using a serger and gives instructions to zig-zag stitch to finish the internal seams. 

Cecilia at Lily Bird Studio is offering a 15% discount on patterns purchased from her website through Saturday, September 13, 2014.  Use code: SNPLBS15  Please note that this code is good on the website, but not in etsy shop.  Also, be sure to check out Lily Bird Studio on Facebook and the recent review of the beautiful Juliette's Dress at Pattern Revolution.  You can also enter the giveaway for a three-pack of patterns from Lily Bird Studios at Pattern Revolution that runs through September 13. 2014.







Post a Comment

What do you think? I would love to hear!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...